The departure of a long-tenured senior pastor (or executive director of a non-profit), and the arrival of a successor, can be a particularly turbulent chapter.
Navigate the complex dynamics of transitions so that the baton can be passed smoothly.
Leadership transition consultations can take a variety of forms and are always designed to fit your unique needs. My role in past projects has included:
- Address issues of timing and future role (inside or outside the organization) with the outgoing leader
- Work with the leadership team (staff and laity) to develop a transition plan
- Recommend organizational changes that may be needed due to the transition
- Advise the search committee in their process
- Coach the new leader to insure a successful start
A large suburban church was anticipating the retirement of its pastor after 30+ years. My advisory role included counseling with the pastor on the timing of his retirement, developing a transition plan with the lay leadership team, evaluating options for an interim organization structure, recommending steps to take with an internal candidate, and providing strategic support for the search committee.
Contact me to schedule a time to discuss how a consulting project might benefit for your church or ministry.